Opportunity Profile: Lawyer, Associate
ABOUT THE FIRM
Located in the Ice District, downtown Edmonton, the new and dynamic firm of Beresh Law
was founded by Brian A. Beresh, Q.C., a renown 42 year practicing criminal defence and
human rights/civil rights lawyer. Mr. Beresh has taught criminal law related classes
continuously at the University of Alberta law school for the last 31 years. In 2012 he was
named by Martindale-Hubbell as one of the top lawyers in Canada. For a brief summary
of his history please visit www.bereshlaw.ca. Fundamental to Beresh Law is the
requirement to provide clients with the highest standards of professional service in the
defence of their cases, and the vigorous approach that “The Defence Never Rests”.
IDEAL CANDIDATE (Associate)
Beresh Law is seeking a respected, independent, confident and articulate criminal
lawyer, devoted and committed to the practice of criminal law, its advocacy and the
pursuit of justice. Ideal candidates should have the qualities of being innovative and
creative in their application and approach to practice. Compassion and empathy in the
pursuit of judicial fairness for clients is an asset. Working collegially and collaboratively
in a firm setting is required. Candidates should enjoy working on serious, complicated
and complex cases at both trial and appellate levels.
ABOUT THE JOB
Working directly with Brian Beresh and other students and associates, you will be
assigned to represent clients independently or work on cases as part of the defence team.
Your newly renovated office will be supported by the firm’s experienced legal assistants
and administrator. You will be expected to assist existing clients and to proactively
develop new clients. Office hours are consistent with that of a busy and growing criminal
• Law degree from a recognized law school.
• Membership in the Law Society of Alberta (or ability to become a member).
• 3 – 8 years’ experience in criminal law.
• Experience and engagement in a range of criminal cases.
• Strong working knowledge of criminal law including legal procedures and relevant
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Organizational skills including the ability to deal with conflicting urgent priorities.
• Ability to work closely with lawyers and non-lawyers.
• Maturity, tact and good judgment, particularly when clients are in conflict or crisis.
• Promote a calm, professional working environment.
• Ability to deal with persons from diverse cultures or disadvantaged groups.
• Ability to operate databases and case management software.
• Computer literacy, particularly MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint).
• Ability to use web-based legal research tools and other web-based resources.
Commensurate with experience. Benefit package included. Relocation support is
available upon need and negotiable.
In compliance and consistent with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act
(“PIPEDA”), HumanEdge shall respect the privacy and confidentiality of all personal information provided
directly or indirectly verbally, electronically or in print in the process of engaging with candidates in our
This profile is designed to serve as a guide and in no way intended to include all the daily or ongoing tasks
and specifications associated with the position. This document may be subject to change.